History of St Stephen's
This congregation began in 1842 when 22 communicants left
during the ministry of John Dunmore Lang. That small fellowship first met in a hall in
In 1846 it moved to the Wesleyan Chapel in
(opposite the Mint) and in 1848 to the Independent Chapel in
adjoining the Sydney School of Arts.
St Stephen's Iron Church, Macquarie Street (1855 - 1875)
During the Gold Rush the congregation imported a prefabricated
seating 800, which was erected in 1855 on the State Library site next to Parliament House. It was here that the name St Stephen's was taken - the Westminster Parliament having met in St Stephen's Chapel from 1543 to 1834.
In 1875 St Stephen's joined with another congregation in
and became a leading centre of Presbyterianism in this country. The NSW General Assembly met in
St Stephen's, Phillip Street
when it first convened in 1901.
St Stephen's, Phillip Street (1875 - 1935)
Willis Organ in rear gallery
St Stephen's, Phillip St, east end
The Sydney City Council resumed the
(sited partially under the
corner of the present Reserve Bank) to extend
In 1935 St Stephen's dedicated the fine, newly built Church which stands on its present position opposite the nationally treasured public buildings of
St Stephen's Macquarie Street
entered a new phase of life and ministry in 1977 as a congregation of the
upon Union of the Congregational, Methodist and
It continues to be a significant church in the centre of
's largest city and with God's continuing blessing will continue to be a force for God in bringing the Gospel to the people of the city.
The congregation of St Stephen's welcomes you to our church, and hopes that you might stay a while and enjoy the serenity of our Sanctuary.
List of Organists and Choral Directors
Tours of the Church
Tours of the church may be arranged for groups of 10 persons or more.
Please contact the church office on 02 9221 1688 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
St Stephen's, Macquarie Street (1935 - )
St Stephen's Conservation Management Plan
St Stephen's CMP was endorsed by the NSW Heritage Office on 2nd August 2004.
Copies of the CMP are held by:
(i) The State Library of New South Wales.
Phone 9273 1414
(ii) Uniting Church in Australia Archives.
Phone 9683 3147
(iii) St Stephen's Uniting Church, Sydney.
Phone 9221 1688
and may be accessed by contacting any of the above.
CD Rom copies of the CMP may be obtained from
St Stephen's Uniting Church,
197 Macquarie Street
at a cost of $15.00 plus postage.